Board index › Products › Audio Codec Shield

first impressions

6 posts · 6654 views

first impressions

by derekja » Wed Aug 17, 2011 04:59 UTC
Dan - amazing on the shipping, it got here in one day!

I'm going to be working most on a maple, but that's back in Canada, so initial exploration is on an Arduino Uno.

sinewave worked great right out of the box. Most of the rest of them I had a bit of problem with, though. After a bit of fiddling I figured out that it was expecting line level inputs rather than mic inputs. That should have been obvious to me from the "Line_In" labeling on the board! Oh well.

Since it's mostly mic in stuff I'll be using it for I'll need to wire in to the mic inputs. I think what I'm going to do is drill a couple more mounting holes for that jack right where the text "audio codec shield" is. If you lay the board back out at some point it might be nice to leave jack pads rather than just solder points since there is that little bit of space on the board.

Also, looking at the arduino headers, it looks like I'll have to set mutemic and micboost. Looking at the datasheet I don't think I have to do anything else to get bias power. If you've used an electret please confirm that, though. Probably won't get to this until I get back to Canada, but I'll post on here with a description when I do...

Anyway, great first impressions. It worked great right off the bat. I've run through all the examples and look forward to getting into my project once I get back to Canada next week. Thanks for putting this out there!

--Derek

Re: first impressions

by guest » Wed Aug 17, 2011 21:59 UTC
if you are using a dynamic mic
you might be able to get away with running it into the line_in
and then setting
LINVOL 31
RINVOL 31
but it sounds like youre using an electret

i actually havent tried the microphone yet
ill get a tutorial up on that soon though
im assuming it will just work

if you want to reuse the jacks that are on there
you can run a wire from L_IN to MIC_IN
and then a 680ohm resistor from MIC_VB to the top of C1
of course this depends upon how your mic is set up
this is assuming a mono pinout

Re: first impressions

by guest » Thu Aug 18, 2011 05:25 UTC
ok i just checked it out
and it works really well
you can also get more gain for an instrument

a detailed tutorial is here
http://wiki.openmusiclabs.com/wiki/CodecShieldMicMod

Re: first impressions

by derekja » Thu Aug 18, 2011 19:00 UTC
Brilliant. Hooking that up today. Thanks!

Re: first impressions

by guest » Thu Aug 18, 2011 20:04 UTC
youll have to redownload the library
to get the new microphone example

Re: first impressions

by mcanulty » Fri Aug 19, 2011 04:11 UTC
Derek, great to see your posts! I've been slammed at work this week, so I'm just now catching up with the forum activity. Glad to hear things are coming along, I'm looking forward to future updates.