Board index › Products › MICrODEC › Hardware

jTAG's to use with AVRStudio

5 posts · 9611 views

jTAG's to use with AVRStudio

by waterman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 23:36 UTC
I am looking forward to my kit & just did a download of a set of tools form Atmel.
The IDE is much like IAR's. Very slick I did a 'hello world' in about 15 minutes in the simulator for the targets chip in about 15 minutes.

The AVRStudio ties into a set of GNU tools to do the compile. (Using Window Vista).

It's FREE! amazing.

Ok, so I have a couple of jTAGS one for ARM(jeeni) and a GHS Probe that does most everything, except ATMEL AVR micros. What USB jTag have any of you found to be cost effective? (the "jLink" from a IAR system is pretty bad...)

Thanks,

Waterman

Re: jTAG's to use with AVRStudio

by guest » Fri Sep 17, 2010 16:15 UTC
there are two way to program the micro
the jtag is the nicest
as it lets you scan all the registers while the program is running
but it costs 300$
there is knockoff one that dan might have some info on

there is also the isp programmer
which puts the code on just the same
but doesnt allow for debugging as well
but only costs 20$

Re: jTAG's to use with AVRStudio

by waterman » Fri Sep 17, 2010 16:33 UTC
Yes indeed that has been my experience too, thanks.

I looked over the atmel site this morning:

Two look promising:

AVR JTAG ICE mkII U$ 311
AVR ONE! U$ 623

The AVR ONE! is a 'professional' jTAG. It appears that it does come with a variety of adaptors.

Both are supposed to be compatible with the AVR Studio & handle the mega3250.

I have had problems with the IAR IDE with a jLink debugging ARM processors. The line to line stepping speed is slow.

Anyone have experience with these (the AVR jTAG) products listed above?

Thanks,

waterman

Re: jTAG's to use with AVRStudio

by guest » Fri Sep 17, 2010 17:52 UTC
i havent used the avr one
but i use the jtacice mkii all the time
it can be a bit buggy at times
and you have to disconnect and restart
but its not that often
usually once every four hours or so
but that may be avrstudio and not the programmer

the nonintrusive connecting of the avr one sounds cool
but i dont think its worth the money to me

Re: jTAG's to use with AVRStudio

by mcanulty » Fri Sep 17, 2010 21:30 UTC
I spent a bunch of time thinking about buying one of the knockoffs, but I couldn't find any product that had people saying it was just as good as the avr jtagice. I've been programming my microdec via the ISP header.