Board index › Products › Audio Codec Shield

Running on external power

5 posts · 7238 views

Running on external power

by Vedeja » Fri Jan 11, 2013 00:08 UTC
Having just downloaded an example sketch to the Maple, testing was fine. Then I switched over to my 5v supply while moving the Power select jumper to EXT. Still fine. But as soon as I disconnect the USB, the shield stops working. My first idea was that the power was insufficient and that some extra was drawn from the USB. But even after powering down the hub and pulling it from the computer, it worked. So I dissected a mini USB and tested. It appears that if short circuit the data lines to the V in the USB cable, it works. But as soon as I unplug it from the Maple, the shield goes silent. What is causing this?

Re: Running on external power

by Vedeja » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:48 UTC
No one?

Re: Running on external power

by guest » Wed Jan 16, 2013 21:20 UTC
sorry for the long wait, i must have missed the original post.

the maple has issues with its usb, and there is a line of code you can enter that makes it completely shut down the usb, so you can power it off external power. this is kind of annoying, but until the usb library for the maple gets rewritten, i think were stuck there.

i will dig around for the line of code that fixes it, and post it up

Re: Running on external power

by guest » Wed Jan 16, 2013 21:24 UTC

Re: Running on external power

by sdiedrichsen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:27 UTC
I had the same issue. Your fix resolved it.
Thanks!

Steffan