Board index › Products › MICrODEC › Software

Layers

5 posts · 9736 views

Layers

by MisterSuperNasty » Fri Dec 24, 2010 09:20 UTC
Hey all!

I was just wondering if anyone was working on any software mods that implement "layers" of loops, kind of like the Echoplex Digital Pro? I feel like this unit ought to able to match or outdo the Echoplex, and I love would to save the $100 of dollars the Echoplex costs so I am offering to work with people on this!

-Noah

Re: Layers

by mcanulty » Sun Dec 26, 2010 03:06 UTC
I would think so, I need to check out the echoplex a bit more, I should be working on the software later this week, about monday or tuesday, I'll try to give my thoughts and also ping guest about his ideas.

Re: Layers

by guest » Sun Dec 26, 2010 19:06 UTC
what do you mean by layers
ive never used an echoplex

if you mean recording loops
and layering them up
we had a version of this running on the original sampler function
but ended up scrapping it for the current implementation

Re: Layers

by MisterSuperNasty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 07:22 UTC
guest wrote:what do you mean by layers
ive never used an echoplex

if you mean recording loops
and layering them up
we had a version of this running on the original sampler function
but ended up scrapping it for the current implementation


OK, here's the manual for the latest Echoplex firmware:

http://www.gibson.com/files/amps/Echopl ... nual12.pdf

I haven't used one either, but from what I gather it's the ultimate looper- with options to do all kinds of things with loops once they're in the SRAM. Iirc, the mostly concern reversing, repeating a loop. changing the speed by half, etc. But then there are some funkier things, too.

Of course with something like the microdec the sky is the limit, soooo what did that earlier software do? would it be easy to do again?

Re: Layers

by guest » Tue Jan 25, 2011 09:36 UTC
i think i have the old code laying around somewhere
it did one of two things
and i cant remember which

it either recorded the new sample directly after the old sample
and then played them in sequence
or it recorded it over the old sample
mixing the two together
so you could build up a layered sound

im pretty sure its the latter

the limitation is the 6s of sample time
so if you want to manipulate a bunch of samples
the would have to be relatively short

although things like reversing and pitch shifting
are pretty low on computation
so they could be done simultaneously for a number of samples