Board index › Products › MIDIvampire

[Questions] MIDIvampire-I on a Breadboard

4 posts · 11382 views

[Questions] MIDIvampire-I on a Breadboard

by dangpzanco » Sun Apr 20, 2014 05:18 UTC
Hi there,

I've been wanting to build my own synthesizer for sometime and I really liked the sound you got out of such a simple 8bit chip. It's really great that MIDIVamp is open hardware, I sympathize with this kind of philosophy. Also, buying was not a good option for me: Brazil has a 60% tax for imported products + local taxes over the product and shipping fees...

I began getting a ATmega328P-PU sample from Atmel, but reading the parts list I saw this entry: "S-1112B30MC (MUST BE THIS ONE)". So I started searching for it at FindChips, and the only distributor that has it in stock is Mouser, but it's not worth the shipping fee and taxes ($40.00 !!!). Is there an alternative IC for this?

Texas Instruments sends free samples of their stuff, so I found similar chips (here):
-TLV7163030P
-TLV7163318P
-TPS7A3701

Could someone help me with the voltage regulator choice?
I guess an option would be to get power from another source then the midi port...
Is there a problem in using a 3.3v or 5v power source from my Arduino Due?

Thank you in advance,

Daniel

Re: [Questions] MIDIvampire-I on a Breadboard

by guest » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:31 UTC
hello daniel,

that is awesome that you are building your own synth! do you want it to be phantom powered from the midi data line like the original midivampire-1? if you are ok with powering it from a 3v or 5v supply, then you dont need that voltage regulator. you can just power it regularly, and even put a midi compliant opto-coupler on it.

if you want, the whole thing could probably just be done on an arduino as well.

Re: [Questions] MIDIvampire-I on a Breadboard

by project2501x » Wed Apr 23, 2014 13:20 UTC
Not sure if this will help you, but I have successfully been using Texas Instruments TLV70030 (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tlv70030.pdf) as a drop-in replacement for the S-1112B30MC in my MIDIvamp-I. Although using a TSOT-23-5 directly on a breadboard might be a bit fiddly. :)

Re: [Questions] MIDIvampire-I on a Breadboard

by blue.bear » Wed Jun 04, 2014 09:34 UTC
I admire your plan to building your own synth. I've never had enough patience to do it by my own :D